Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Jump to main content
Turn on/off screen reader friendly version
Practical information from public agencies
Print page

Renting a home

Renting a house/apartment does not require capital other than for the deposit. If you do not have money for the deposit, you should contact your municipality. Some municipalities can offer to lend you the deposit, while others can furnish a guarantee that some landlords will accept as an alternative to a deposit. If the municipality cannot offer you a loan for the deposit, the alternative is to take up a loan for the deposit in a private bank

  • Your rights as a tenant »

    Your most important rights as a tenant are stipulated in the lease and in the Tenancy Act. The Tenancy Act includes a prohibition against discrimination in tenancy situations. The parties (the land...

  • Lease »

    You can always demand written lease between landlord and tenant. The lease should include: the parties’ names and addresses, the property to be rented and the amount of rent to be paid. If the land...

  • Deposit »

    A deposit is an amount that the tenant pays as security for rent owed or damage to the housing property. The amount may not exceed six months’ rent. The amount must be deposited in a separate accou...

  • Housing allowance »

    Housing allowance is a government-financed support scheme for people at a disadvantage in the housing market. The purpose of the scheme is to help households with low incomes and high housing expen...

  • Terminating the tenancy »

    A tenancy can be entered into for a specified (‘non-terminable’) period or an unspecified (‘terminable’) period. A lease for a specified period expires without notice at the agreed time. Out of co...