Practical information from public offices
The Norwegian Mountain Code
The weather conditions in the mountains change rapidly, and it is important to be prepared for bad weather. Whether you are an experienced hiker or not, it is important to keep the mountain code in mind when you are hiking.
- Don’t go off on a long walk without proper experience.
- Leave word of your route.
- Be weatherwise.
- Learn from experienced hikers.
- Be equipped for bad weather and low temperatures even on short hikes. Always take a rucksack and proper mountain gear. Use map and compass.
- Don’t go solo.
- Turn back in time. There’s no disgrace in turning back.
- Conserve energy and build a snow-shelter if necessary.
Other articles under Recreational activities