Jump to navigation
Jump to search
Jump to main content
Turn on/off screen reader friendly version
Practical information from public offices
Print page

First-time registration of a used, imported vehicle

The following is a checklist for persons who are bringing a vehicle to Norway for first-time registration. The rules do not apply if you have a temporary residence permit and can drive without paying tax in Norway.

First-time registration – step by step:

Step 1: Before importation to Norway

You should find out from one of the Norwegian Public Roads Administration's Driver and Vehicle Licensing Offices what technical requirements apply to the vehicle for it to be approved in Norway.

You should check with the authorities in the country from which you are bringing the vehicle whether:

• any export restrictions or export clearance requirements apply,

• the vehicle has a valid number plate and is insured for driving it to and in Norway.

Refunds of foreign value added tax are a matter between the buyer and seller and do not concern the Norwegian Public Roads Administration or Customs and Excise.

Step 2: Upon arrival at the Nowegian border

  • use a manned border crossing
  • report to the red channel

If the customs and excise authorities in the country from which you are bringing the vehicle have not already issued a transit document (a customs document that permits you to use the foreign vehicle from the Norwegian border to your local customs office within a given deadline), Norwegian Customs and Excise will issue you one at the border.

The customs office at which you are to customs clear the vehicle in Norway will be stated on the transit document. You can use valid foreign number plates when driving to this customs office if the vehicle is insured.

If you wish to pay value added tax already upon crossing the border, you must raise this directly with Customs and Excise at the border crossing in question.

Step 3: Buy temporary number plates valid for one day (trade plates) from the Norwegian Public Roads Administration

You can drive vehicles imported from abroad in Norway with foreign number plates for up to 30 days after the vehicle has been customs cleared. In such case, the vehicle must have valid number plates, vehicle registration certificate and insurance.

If the vehicle does not have valid foreign number plates, vehicle registration certificate or insurance, it may only be used if it has valid temporary number plates valid for one day (trade plates). 

Step 4: Custom clear and pay valued added tax to Customs and Excise

Within a given deadline (usually one to three days after arriving in Norway), you must report to the customs office where you are to customs clear the vehicle. If you fail to meet the deadline, Customs and Excise can impose additional charges. You have to pay value added tax and any greenhouse gas taxes for the vehicle. This is called customs clearance even if you do not pay customs duties. After customs clearance, Customs and Excise issues a registration form (form NA-0221).

Take the following documents with you:

• The transit document

• An invoice or sales contract showing the actual purchase price and, if relevant, a freight invoice and documentation of any other expenses incurred by the vehicle before crossing the Norwegian border (e.g. insurance)

• The original foreign registration document, or a Certificate of Compliance (CoC). When importing new cars for which a CoC is presented, you can in most cases pay the one-off registration tax at the same time as the value added tax.

If you meet the conditions for driving with foreign number plates after customs clearance, you must ensure that the registration form (form NA-0221) is kept in the vehicle until it is registered.

Step 5: Approval of the vehicle

The Public Roads Administration's Driver and Vehicle Licensing Offices approve vehicles that are imported to Norway after they have been customs cleared and value added tax has been paid. The vehicle must be approved before the one-off registration tax and vehicle scrap deposit tax can be calculated by Customs and Excise.

All imported vehicles must first be approved by the Public Roads Administration and then registered.

Step 6: Pay the one-off registration tax

Once you have had the vehicle approved at a Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office, you must contact your local customs office to have the following taxes calculated:

  • one-off registration tax
  • vehicle scrap deposit tax

The taxes must be calculated before the Public Roads Administration can register the vehicle. Some groups of vehicles are exempt from taxes. Separate rules apply to firms that have a credit arrangement with Customs and Excise.

When Customs and Excise registers that the taxes have been paid, it will endorse the registration form (form NA-0221). If you pay on the spot, this can be done immediately. You must take the registration form along with you when you register the vehicle at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Office.

Step 7: Register the vehicle

The vehicle must be registered at one of the Public Roads Administration's Driver and Vehicle Licensing Offices or at a dealership that has access to the Autoreg system.  With certain exceptions, trailers also have to be registered.

It is possible to make an appointment with most of the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Offices for individual approval of a vehicle, but not for approval in general. Contact the Public Roads Administration by calling 06650.

The following documents must be presented in connection with registration:

  1.  The foreign vehicle registration certificate
  • If the foreign vehicle registration certificate consists of two parts (the EU model), both of them must be handed in.
  • The requirement for the handing-in of foreign vehicle registration certificates applies irrespective of which country the vehicle is imported from.
  • When importing from a country outside the EU/EEA, ownership must be documented by official documents.

   2. The registration form (form NA-0221)

  • The registration form must be stamped by Norwegian Customs and Excise or an approved forwarding agent.
  • It must be signed by the owner or a duly authorised person.

   3. Proof of identity (ID)

  • Valid proof of identity is required for personal owners and co-owners.
  • A driving licence, passport and other proof of identity issued by a public authority that contains its holder's name, personal identity number and photo is accepted. A bank card containing the personal identity number and photo of the holder is also accepted. For firms, companies and other undertakings, a transcript from the Norwegian Central Coordinating Register for Legal Entities containing the organisation number is accepted.

In addition, you must have taken out motor vehicle liability insurance. The insurance certificate is transferred electronically from the insurance company to the Norwegian Public Roads Administration. This does not apply to trailers that are exempt from the insurance requirement.

For certain vehicles, such as those requiring an operating licence, ambulances etc., other documents will also be required (operating licence, ambulance certification etc.)

Once the Public Roads Administration has registered the vehicle, you will be issued a temporary vehicle registration certificate.  The permanent vehicle registration certificate (two parts) will be sent in the post. You cannot drive a vehicle abroad with a temporary vehicle registration certificate.

With effect from 1 August 2012, Norwegian number plates will only be issued when the foreign number plates are handed in.

Imported second-hand vehicles will not be required to undergo a periodic technical inspection (EU inspection) in the first 12 months after registration, even if they have reached the age when periodic technical inspection is required.

Tip a friend

Tip a friend about this page by email

More information